Saturday, March 27, 2010

"Floral Splatter..."

...in my little red Hand.Book sketchbook.
(And, no, I STILL haven't completed the book...)
I had a beautiful bunch of roses
gifted me by my sweetie for the first day of Spring
and have just now gotten around to painting
one of them.
The other two "flowers" were painted several weeks ago
with out any references...just my ole
imagination to rely on...
which didn't do the tulip any justice at all!
So...I have decided that
in the interest of becoming a better observer of floral life
I will make it a point to visit Trader Joe's
this week and treat myself to a
one of their exquisite floral bouquets...
and then paint like crazy until the "cows come home"!
There...I've said it...well, written it...
right here in public even.
Expect great things! :)
P.S. Does anyone out there have any good tips
about
how to create loose spatter
on a painting without it looking like
like a kindergarten paint war??
(...ie. see above...)
Yes??? Fingers and toes crossed...
Drop me a line...LOL:)

"People from a planet without flowers
would think
we must be mad with joy the whole time
to have such things about us."
~Iris Murdoch

11 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

These are beautiful flowers Margaret. I will look forward to seeing more. I use the old toothbrush splatter routine. There is a gizmo you can purchase for such splattering. I don't have one. I thought the toothbrush did ok.

Janet Ghio said...

These pages are really pretty. Trader Joes--wish we had one here--but what a good excuse to buy a big bouquet of flowers--for your art--not that we should need an excuse to buy flowers!!

Marthann's Musings said...

Margaret, I love it. I like the nice bold colors and the zentangle square in the middle is a nice addition. Where do you get all you wonderful quotes you always have with your blogs. I love them. Your work is amazing. Keep it up and buy those posies

Stacey D said...

I like it - it's very nice.

Teri said...

Beauteous! Love the blooms with that bit of zen in it.

PAK ART said...

I think your splatters look nice and I use an old toothbrush just like Lisa, seems to work well for me. I find painting roses VERY difficult - you did a marvelous job!

Unknown said...

There's nothing Kindergarten about your spatters. The composition is lovely! Your work is really an inspiration to me.
Joyce

Claire M said...

Very attractive composition. I think treating yourself flowers at Trader Joes ... and then painting them is a great idea!! Have fun - and do it Girl!!

Chris said...

what a cool effect/touch that black and white 'frame' is in there!
I want a huge canvas of your colors and lines and POP on my wall.

thank you

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

Lovely. I use an old tooth brush too.

Caroline said...

How pretty! I find a toothbrush a bit haphazard and use my paintbrush, just tapping against a finger. I always really like using a piece of sandpaper to rub against a watercolour crayon (onto damp paper).
C x