Friday, November 21, 2008

"Letting Loose..."

...with Grace....Grace Haverty, that is!

This was the second exercise I did in my
sketchbook journaling all day workshop yesterday...
Grace wanted us to really get loose and comfortable
so we actually began first
with a few 60 second contour figure drawing exercises...
then moved into a still life drawing/painting.
We were to take no longer than about 20 minutes for the whole piece...
painting included...It was really fun!
I will confess here publicly though that I did add
a wee bit of pen work detail when I got home...but don't tell Grace...
She told me to stop! I just couldn't...
especially
after a late afternoon icy mocha cappuchino with whipped cream
...I got "loosey goosey" and out of control!
Stay tuned...More workshop goodies tomorrow...I promise!

"Celebrate your success and find humor in your failures.
Don’t take yourself so seriously.
Loosen up and everyone around you will loosen up.
Have fun and always show enthusiasm.
When all else fails,
put on a costume and sing a silly song."
~ Sam Walton

14 comments:

Barbara said...

The added pen work is what sets it off so nicely -- the needed contrast. Great work for 20 minutes!

Anonymous said...

This is super - leaps out of the page! Looks so fresh.

soulbrush said...

when you said, let loose, i thought it was going to be a streak through the neighbourhood naked! this is soooo beautiful, and a much warmer activity than naked streaking!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

No streaking naked through our neighborhood this morning at 19F. Brrrr. This sketch is so warm and pretty. I like the light.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and of course I love your penwork. Were your quick figure drawings just of each other? Or from photos? I'm very interested in the content of your classes. I'm taking Dany's Visual Journaling workshop tight now and I'll exchange info with you after the classes are over....

Anonymous said...

Please forgive my typos - I really did mean to say Danny's class (as in Danny Gregory) and right now. Note to self: Slow down

Barb Smith said...

What a beautiful piece...and don't feel bad, a good cappuchino makes me go all crazy and loosey, too. lol

Lisa Adams Reed said...

Ohhh soooo pretty,Peg! I am envious of you and Shirley and your workshops! More more--can't wait to see more!

Teri said...

I am so glad to hear you added that pen work, (I confess I would have done the same thing-it's that left brain sneaking in to gain control). This is beautiful and colorful.

Linda said...

I love the way the colors curl around and shine. The pen work -- perfect final touch! (Don't worry -- we won't tell.)
;-)

Trish said...

oh how I envy you this experience! Thank you for sharing it with us.

BARBARA WEEKS said...

This is beautiful!

Timaree said...

This is a great picture. Adding the extra penwork is your perogative to make the piece come together. Grace will understand.

I love that quote. I try to live it - except for that last line as I don't sing! I think it really helps people to be themselves if someone around them just gets real. I remember being at a special dinner where they served fried chicken. Everyone was afraid to dig in - should they use knives and forks? Well, I looked around and realized they were afraid of looking uncouth so I picked up my piece with my fingers and ate up. Everyone followed my lead. Hey, fried chicken is meant to be eaten with your fingers and I don't care that it was a more formal occasion. But everyone is more comfortable when someone can let them know where they stand.

Anonymous said...

I LOOOOOVE the looseness and vibrancy, Margaret! Truly inspiring!