Thursday, March 13, 2008

"Spirit Blossom # 2...For Phyllis..."


Here are just two views of my latest "Spirit Blossom"... made for my friend Phyllis. The entire gourd's surface has been drawn upon...top...bottom...and all around the sides. More specifics and details about the design, the process, materials used, and the quotation can be found by linking here to my "Spirit Blossoms" blogspot. There are several more views to enjoy there as well.

I especially delighted in making this for my friend. It brought me alot of smiles. The quotation is one which has always had special meaning to me. Working with a natural object enhances the spiritual connection for me in my art...just like painting or drawing out of doors does. There is a special awareness of life, a peace in the heart, and an energizing of the spirit that results in doing something like this.

Oh, and did I forget to mention... it was alot of fun as well?! :)

This piece now sits is a special place in Phyllis's home where she can enjoy its simple beauty and be renewed by its serenity...and..I get to visit it whenever I want. ;)

5 comments:

soulbrush said...

i looked at both of your spirit blossoms, they are amazing, lucky phyllis...how long did you teach for? I am still at it, this is my 40th year! after easter i will be teaching 3 year olds.

Margaret Ann said...

How about 35 years? I just spent some time this morning visiting your blog-what fun your "Giggles" are! I love them...very relatable! Also your 60b460 spot was awesome...What a unique and clever record of your accomplishments! :)
Thanks for stopping by for visit. "Talk" to you Cactus Monday if not before. :)

soulbrush said...

four of us, do tell....

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

gosh these are just lovely...remind me of scrimshaw..

Margaret Ann said...

Yes, they really have a similarity to scrimshaw...I can't even imagine how difficult that must have been to do! :)