Monday, November 10, 2008

"Inside the Fruit..."

...Of a Night Blooming Cereus!
This is the first year our cereus has been so productive.
Currently there are 17 pieces of fruit...
(...plus the one on my drawing table which I dissected
specially for the Cactus Monday cause. LOL)
We have had a few tiny pieces of fruit in the past
but
once the birds get wind of the pending feast
everything is picked clean!
This year is indeed different...the fruit is larger, there is more of it,
and nothing appears to be feasting on it.
I wonder what's up???

In doing some research
I ran across a night blooming cereus with red fruit called Pitaya or
Dragon fruit (cool pics here)
which is edible..and supposedly tastes similar to kiwi.
I wonder...
Will mine mature, get larger and eventually turn red?
Hmmm...
Guess there will be
NO snacking for the time being...:)
Have a fruitful Cactus Monday All! :)

"One is wise to cultivate the tree that bears fruit in our soul."
~
Henry David Thoreau

13 comments:

Julie said...

Have fun with all that fruit!!! Nice drawing. HCM!

jpsam said...

I know you are all about the visuals but I would love to read about the fragrance. Is it true, what I have read...
joan

sharon young said...

Lovely drawing of the cactus fruit, it looks a great colour, how strange that the birds aren't eating it this year.
I've just been looking at your previous posts, it's so nice to find interesting new bloggers, I love your style it's very refreshing.
Many thanks for dropping in on my blog and leaving your lovely comment.

Anonymous said...

I love the combination of colours that you have used here - looks so fresh. I don't know anyone who has a cactus in their garden around here - too cold and wet, I guess. (East Anglia, UK) Nor did I know that cacti had fruit that you can eat!

soulbrush said...

i live in hope that one day senita and joe's 'prickly union' will bear fruit! HCM fello cactuteer. hugs.

Angie said...

I'm glad to have found your blog - your paintings are lovely. Thanks for visiting mine by the way :)

studio lolo said...

I love the flow of this! I can also picture you dissecting a pod at your drawing table, intently capturing the trueness to share with us. Lovely!
HCM!!! Now I'm off to draw something...maybe in the Moleskine this week :)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Beautiful drawing. I love the colors. Happy cactus Monday.

Teri said...

Beautifully done Margaret!! Our neighbor actually has a pitaya so I was surprised to see you mention it. The fruit looks a lot alike. I have not seen too many of those plants around and they are actually kind of ugly and messy-looking. (personal opinion)

HCM

marianne said...

Lovely cactus drawing!
I have tasted dragon fruit abroad but didn´t realize it was from a cactus.......
Maybe the birds wait for just the right moment. I have grapes and I always wonder why they don´t eat them and then all of a sudden they start and in no time everything is gone. Maybe the moment is not yet.
happy Cactus Monday Margaret!

Ro Bruhn said...

Love the drawing and your colour combinations, your swirling triangles are great too.

Margaret Ann said...

I am so fascinated by the beauty found in nature...and especially in the things we often do not look at very carefully...Thanks you so much for your comments! :)

joanieART said...

Way cool....more happy art by YOU!